"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Thursday, September 1, 2011

What Used To Be…..

 

IMG_2595

is now is……

IMG_3055

A magnificent Florida Oak,that was this close to qualifying for Grand Status,according to the tree company, is now this…

IMG_3064

and this…

IMG_3059

But on an up note,the Oak Leaf Hydrangea seems to have weathered the storm…

IMG_3057

A little battered,but none the less,still alive.

The Alabama Azalea,Rhododendrum alabamensis,I bought in Tallahassee,may not be so fortunate.I cannot find it in all the mess.

But,all the orchids made it!

I think…one I haven’t found yet….

IMG_3063

Including all of  my Dad’s!

Yes-sir-ee,!

The tree people were wonderful in helping me find them,under this massive tree,and move them to safety.

Not only did they dig up plants and put them in pots,for me,they also moved all my rooted cuttings!

IMG_3065

The Banana Shrub…

They moved the Tea Olives,the Stokes Asters,and the Blackberry Lilies,and numerous other plants.

I heart those guys!

Not only were they young,in great shape,and sweaty……but they moved my plants,for me!

Please don’t tell me they probably thought they were helping an old lady out!

Tomorrow,they return to remove the rest of the tree and the root ball.The pool is slowly collapsing,but the pool contractor has been here and is in the process of drawing up plans.

Which,hopefully,will include a waterfall with a raised garden bed,for Miss Emma’s Garden.

At least,the lubbers won’t be able to get to the Queen Emma Crinum inside of a pool cage!

The plans include the pool to be screened in,with pocket gardens,so that some of the shade loving plantings can be moved there.

On a side note,when I inquired about planting a new tree,I was told that if I want to plant a protected species-I would really like another Florida Oak-,according to code(at least,in Hillsborough County),it has to be a minimum of 20 feet from a swimming pool.

If you wanna find me,I’ll be hanging out in our local nurseries.

…For quite a long while….

6 comments:

Gayle said...

Somehow something that should be a pain-in-the-ass is turning out to not be so bad....young, sweaty men, new landscaping, new pool, screened in pool.... I am so glad that things are working out for you. Now get a glass of wine and watch the guys work woman!!! :)

Snowbird said...

I'm with Gayle. It looks like the Phoenix rising from the flames. Something very good is coming out of what looked like a disaster. It is sad that such a lovely old tree is lost but it appears that other things have been found. And, while you are ordering that new pool, why don't you order a pool boy to go along with it. LOL.

Unknown said...

Gayle and Nancy-I love the way you two think!At least,with all the relandscaping in front of me,I'm approaching the cooler season.
I do like the young pool boy option. Mightnot go over so well here,tho.
YardBoy might not understand....

Susan said...

What an ordeal, but I know you're going to be busy from now until spring making your garden beautiful all over again. Do keep us posted.

Dallas Landscapers said...

The most obvious benefit of landscaping your garden is the beauty you get to enjoy all year round.

Landbohaven said...

Gode billeder.
Hvor er haven smuk på dit første billede.
Tak for kigget.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails