"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Water Doesn’t Run Uphill

No,it doesn’t.

At TheGreatWall,it lays in the depressions,in the soil,created by the roots of our old growth Florida Oak.It lays there for days.Creating a muddy mess.

What to do?What to do?

We have ruminated over this problem all summer.

We could have had topsoil trucked in.But it would have taken enough to build  a mountain! And then we would have had to move it to the back.Not a viable solution…..Nope,not gonna happen.

So,we went with raised pathways…..IMG_0624

and digging channels to carry the water away…IMG_0626

IMG_0627

Thankfully,Autumn has returned and the weather is much cooler.

52 degrees this morning!83 degrees this afternoon.

Almost perfect for tackling this job.

and plants that don’t mind soggy feet….IMG_0629

I divided up the Walking Irises,and planted them in the lowest spots.All summer they have been in this area,and have thrived.So they were quite overdue for a trimming,anyways.

and that’s what we’ve been up to.

You?

IMG_0648

It’s Autumn!!!!!!

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh so beautiful! ME? I'm still waiting for Autumn! wa wa wa. I love love love the walk ways you built. Enjoy your cooler weather. **blows kisses** Deb

NanaK said...

Great job on your paths. Those stone covered channels are very nice. It all looks purely ornamental. I would never guess it's really providing a drainage solution. How great to have a project come out so well.

Floridagirl said...

Oh, how beautiful! The paths are a lovely way to solve that drainage problem.

Susan said...

Hi Chris....Wow, it looks great. It always feels good to take lemons and make lemonade out of it, and you did a great job with a problem area. Love the rock pathway.

Gayle said...

What a beautiful oasis. I love the pathway with the big/small rocks. I'd like something like that, but I do not think it would survive the rowdiness of my kids and their friends. I have lots of changes I want to make later on....

My autumn, as you know, is long gone. Snowing like crazy today and I hear the roads are awful. Not looking forward to driving in to the basketball game tonight.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely way to handle a muddy situation. I love your new paths through your wonderful gardens.

FlowerLady

Meems said...

Chris,
I knew you would come up with a good solution. I like it... lots of work but you (and your plants will be so happy in ALL seasons because of the changes. Nice job.
Meems

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails