"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Byes Always Hurt…….

______________________________

I love crotons!

Their colors.

IMG_3744

The way they brighten the garden.The feeling of the tropics they bring to the garden.

IMG_3136

But,alas,they do not do well in winter in this Zone 9B landscape.

In fact,they croak……

IMG_4557

Even though I realize the time has come for us to part,

I am gonna miss them….

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle
Everything I do is stitched with its color
.
~W.S. Merwin, "Separation"

Oh,who am I kidding?

I’m never gonna give them up entirely.

In fact,I bought two more……!

IMG_4555

IMG_4559

But this time,one shall be planted close to the house,and the other shall be planted amongst some Giant Liriope,in the hopes that they will give them some protection,next winter.

We only part to meet again.  ~John Gay

 

Technorati Tags: ,

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I'm sorry you lost your crotons. I think I lost one, but I live further south than you. They sure do add a tropical look to gardens. I hope you find something that will make you as happy as they did.

FlowerLady

Deborah said...

Oh the ever dramatic croton! Excellent post...I greatly enjoyed that! **kisskiss** Deb

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Perhaps they will overwinter for you this time. They are such pretty plants, I couldn't imagine your garden without them.

Meems said...

Ha! I kind of knew you couldn't do without your freeze-proned crotons. I always say if you like a plant enough it is worth the investment. With only two it won't be so difficult to cover them either. Oh, I can't believe I'm even mentioning that "cover" word. So happy not to have to think about it anymore this season.
Meems

Ami said...

Love that Merwin's separation quote! Sorry you lost your croton, but the two new ones are very pretty. With the new location, they should be okay. I have more than half dozen of crotons in my front yard. After the freeze, they lost their leaves, but now they are all coming back. They are under the palm trees, and not too far away from the house. And of course, being south of you probably also helped! Enjoy your new colorful plants!

sanddune said...

Crotons are a tropical favorite for Florida. I made several new croton plants from stem cuttings last year. The cuttings grew quite easily so maybe that is a idea to replace your crotons you lost to the freeze.

Gayle said...

You have such a variety of plants and grasses in your yard. Our deep freezes would drive you crazy. We start new every year.

Susan said...

I love crotons, too. You just can't beat their wild and zany colors. They're well worth replanting.

Anonymous said...

I just placed 2 crotons in my garden - in a sheltered area. I know many people lost them this year, but I'm going to try. Gardeners are optimists, aren't we?

Mary Joy said...

I actually have a collection of those crotons. I planted them on pots. I love crotons.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails