"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Friday, May 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day-May,2009

Late to the post as usual,but I'm working on it.I guess I'm still on Island time......

When we returned,after our week on Sanibel Island,the garden had changed so much.Some plants have slowed down in the spring/summer heat of Florida.and others have taken off.
Except for the heat loving veggies(eggplant,pole beans,cucumbers),the veggie garden has started to slow down.Most of the tomato plants have stopped setting fruit.Except for the grape tomatoes,which are bursting forth.They are loving this weather.As are the eggplant.I'm seeing lots of fried eggplant and Eggplant Parmesean in our summer meals.Yum!!!!

When we left,the nasturtiums hadn't even a bud on them,but when we returned they were starting to bloom!
And the canna lilies have all started blooming,which attracts even more hummingbirds to the GreatWall.We love to just sit and watch the hummingbirds,especially in the early morning and late afternoon.......
But the bestest surprise of all,one of the plumeria cuttings is blooming!Frequent readers will already know how we love plumeria,here on the GreatWall.
This one is from a cutting we got on Sanibel Island,last year.You'll notice it has the barest touch of pink on it.The pink is much more noticable on the flowers on the mother plant the cutting came from.At first,we were afraid it was just an inflo,and nothing would come from the buds.We,actually,considered cutting the "inflo" off,but,now,we are so glad we didn't.
And that's what's happening on The GreatWall,this May 15th.This time of year is slow for us Florida gardeners.It gives us time to think and plan for the fall garden.......
For more of Garden Bloggers Bloom Day,click here.....................



6 comments:

Gayle said...

Your flowers are just beautiful. I am going to plant a lot of nasturtiums since they will grow with a crappy summer (like last summer). I am trying eggplant for the first time (mine will grow in the greenhouse). You'll have to send me a tasty recipe since I've never eaten it and I'm a horrible cook! lol I should be in the greenhouse tonight. Can't wait. My plants are all stunted and look like crap. Not sure if anything will be worth putting in the garden. :( WIth five children at home (and another three not) it is impossible to get anything done!

Unknown said...

Never give up! That's my motto.I just keep plugging away at this veggie garden thing.The flowers,I'm starting to get down,but the veggies,will always be a work in progress.

Naturegirl said...

You're certainly way ahead of us with veggies already grown..that's Florida for you! I'm sure you see lemons and oranges too!
Himmingbirds already..with nasturtiums and canna lilies..sigh!!
Lucky you!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I am wondering what changes I will find after we return from our trip away. I think I will take some photos tomorrow, so I will have before and after shots to compare when we get back.

Meems said...

Great blooms and pretty summer colors. It is amazing what can happen in a garden in a week. Well, we asked for rain and we are getting aren't we? So glad except the veggie garden doesn't really know what to do with the drop in temps and all this saturation... we'll see what happens when the sun comes out again.

YOU HAVE HUMMINGBIRDS! I haven't seen any here for two years... I wonder what I need to do????

donna said...

You have beautiful blooms there at The Great Wall of Lutz and also a good photographer with a very good camera. Very impressive!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails