"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Monday, October 14, 2013

What is this…..?

Edited to add:This blog will be moving.Stay tuned.


It’s been at least a year since I have meandered thru the far back corner of the yard.All of the house construction has taken up my attention.
Today,I thought I should,at least,give it a glance.Even if just to see how bad it had gotten back there.
It was bad!
But I found this growing…..
IMG_0673Close to 6 feet tall…
What is it?
IMG_0672
The leaves and the “flowers”….
IMG_0674

IMG_0675
The branches and trunk are red…..
It is growing along the bank of the lake.The ground stays damp most of the time.

Any ideas as to what it is?

Should I let it grow?

Or should I rip it out?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a neat looking plant, but I don't have a clue as to what it is.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Jean Campbell said...

Common pokeweed (Phytolacca americana). All parts are poisonous at this stage. Birds can eat the seeds, leaving purple poop all over your vehicle.

Early young shoots in spring are edible, if you are brave and know how to prepare them. Mama used to cook them; I wouldn't eat some on a dare now.

I never heard of eating the berries cooked, but NIH says it can be done.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002874.htm

Unknown said...

Jean-you're right! Thanks so much.I think I shall dig it up and get rid of it.I read up on it and it seems to be hard to get rid of.

Unknown said...

=

Jen Kershner said...

See? I was gonna say, it's beautiful! Leave it! And that folks is why my yard looks the way it does! Glad you got some good advice!

David The Good said...

I love pokeweed... I deliberately plant them. I'm convinced they're a nutrient accumulator, so I let them get big, then chop them down to mulch around other plants, then let them grow back again. They're also apparently delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails