"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Monday, April 18, 2011

Neighbors……

“A good neighbor is a fellow who smiles at you over the back fence, but doesn't climb over it.”
………Arthur Baer

Neighbors.

We all got ‘em.

Some we love.

Some we really don’t care for.

For whatever reason.

On one side,I have neighbors who are the best.Love gardening and learning more about gardening.The nicest and friendliest people ever.

On the other side,I have a neighbor who is the nicest person in the world.

He’d give you the shirt off his back.

Whenever you need anything,he’s the first one there to help.

But he’s kinda naïve

(nooo……he’s stupid!)

when it comes to gardening and invasive species.

This is the same guy who gave me this….

pinecone ginger

Pine Cone Ginger

because he didn’t like the way it looked in his yard.

But…..

He has this growing in his yard….

IMG_1649

See how large it is in relation to the Norfolk Island Pines?

And the 50 year old Florida Oak branches,on the left?

Which he is convinced is a Jacaranda.

Sorry,but it’s an Ear Pod Tree,Elephant Ear Tree or Monkey Ear Tree.

Enterolobium cyclocarpum.

What ever you chose to call it.

It is considered an invasive species,in Florida.

But he is convinced it is a Jacaranda.

Jacarandas wouldn’t leave this in my yard….

IMG_1647

Multiplied by hundreds,I pick this many up.

Everyday.

Mowing becomes even more of a chore with these.

They certainly don’t help my hating-mowing-thing I have going on.

Not to mention the large branches that fall into the yard,after every summer rain.

But then,he hands me this,saying,”I have way too many of these.Do you want this?”

IMG_1799

A Hidden Ginger

IMG_1800

Curcoma petiolata

IMG_1803

You betcha,I’ll take that.

back to raking up Elephant Ear Tree pods…..

 

 

 

9 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

wow, that is a BEAUTIFUL color!

*~*~*

Unknown said...

Tink-and that's why I'm gonna be raking up seed pods for awhile.It is a stunning ginger!

Floridagirl said...

Wow, that *is* naive. I know that tree is very invasive here in CenFla, but I have soooo many childhood memories of it. Those seedpods kept us kids entertained for hours....my own kids as well when they were little. I can see how he could confuse the leaves with Jacaranda, though, but then again...what about the missing purple flowers?

How lucky that you got those gingers from him! I have that same Curcuma, but it hasn't put up any bud stalks yet this year.

NanaK said...

First, I want to tell you how much I like your new header. I keep forgetting to say that. The "head" planter is too cute. You are lucky to have such a generous neighbor. I have that curcuma too but mine is just starting to send shoots up and no flowers yet. Mine bloomed like crazy last year but truly, those leaves are beautiful all on their own. As for the ear tree, my mother planted one of those in our front yard and I loved it. I climbed it, I made things with the pods, lots of good memories around that tree. Sorry to say, much of what my mother planted has been put on the invasive list. Back then, who knew? But we did know it wasn't a jacaranda:)

Gayle said...

Invasive or not...you have some really cool stuff that grows around there. What amazing trees. I, too, would be a little annoyed...it sure is a messy tree. The flowers are beautiful...such an amazing color.

Ami said...

LOL. That hidden ginger is gorgeous! I don't know much about Florida invasive plants/trees either. Fortunately my garden is too small to fit a tree like that, and I am hoping I am not accidently bringing any invasive plants into my garden since they all from store or local nurseries. If any, they should be easy to get rid of though :)

Susan said...

We used to have one of those elephant ear trees in our yard when I was a kid. We had fun holding them up to our ears and chasing each other. Your gingers are looking beautiful. Nice to have a neighbor that gives you such pretty plants.

compost in my shoe said...

A good neighbor is one who cannot see over the fence and comes over when you invite them!

Day Dreaming And Decorating said...

I wish my neighbors even liked gardening a little. It is sad to say most just have grass. I love gardening and learn as I go, but I will say I did purchase a Florida native plant guide. I want to make sure I give back to nature because I know I sure take alot. I know you can do invasives if you pot them and keep them where they wont seed

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails