"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Circle of Life........

With apologies to Elton John, the circle of life continues at The GreatWall..........

We have been watching the Swallowtail caterpillars for days.Out of all the original eggs,and baby caterpillars,only five seemed to have made it to a viable stage.

Today,when it was time for caterpillar check,two were still munching on what was left of the two parsley plants.
Oh no! Where had the other three gone?

We quickly found them......

#1 was found in the pot that contains the Chocolate Mint plant...........
#2 was found on a Gerbera Daisy........
and #3 was found on a Pineapple plant........
This is my favorite picture,of all.It shows him/her starting the process........
But what the heck is this?
We found this critter on the Chocolate Mint.Very close to the other live caterpillar.Could this be a dead caterpillar from the previous generation?He/she was totally non-reactive when we attempted to touch him/her.
Thoughts,anyone?

6 comments:

niartist said...

I know, I know, I know! I've been super busy setting up a little something special, for me, and for the blog to share in for the next few months. So I've been super busy on Sundays and unable to really work on the SAGS. But this Sunday I will host, and it'll be up Saturday night. (Hopefully with a Mr. Linky! - so much easier that way!!) I am so sick, but I did get a few pictures with my new camera. I'm so excited about it. It's a Sony A200 DSLR. I've never had a DSLR before, so I don't know how to work all the little knobby things - but hopefully soon I'll be taking some stunning pictures for the blog! So good to hear from you - sorry I've been a bad host! :)

jabblog said...

Oh dear - what a shame. Is the caterpillar the same as the live ones? Would it have retained its form and turned brown in such a short period? I do hope you find out . . .

Jake said...

Everyone has Butterfllies or soon-to-be Butterflies. All I have ar Dragonflies, which are nce to have and are pretty too.

Jake

Meems said...

Isn't it the most fun to find those amazing critters in that attached position getting ready to spin into the chrysalis! In a few days you will have some new swallowtails flying around your garden. I don't think that brown caterpillar has anything to do with the swallowtails. It is probably a different butterfly or moth. I haven't dragged out my butterfly books to try to ID it. It was probably sleeping when you came upon it.

KB said...

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Shellbelle said...

I've been wandering around all your blogs today, so first I want to wish you a happy belated birthday. That was such a great post!

We have so many shared experiences in our lifetime. Today I am 58, wow, that's the first time I wrote it down. Who would have thought when we were kids and they were talking about computers that we would end up bloggers? That the Internet would open the world for us? That we would meet people the world over and consider them friends?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails