"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Monday, February 2, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays

and a frozen out garden always get me down.(with apologies to the Carpenters).


But there are signs of hope that all was not lost.



.
African Iris blooming.
Yea!!!













































Bromiliads blooming.


Yesterday,we took out the dead schefflera.That was a major job!Our chain saw now needs a new blade from that job. That will mean a trip to either Home Depot or Lowe's.
Isn't it more convenient to enter those places through the Garden shop?And it's easier to find a convenient parking space by those entrances,too.Don't ya just love rationalization?














I am leaning toward putting in a few of the 'contraband' plumeria in that spot,mingled in with some palms,and an undergrowth of something or other...That's part of the fun of gardening.
Trying new plants.

If we didn't need that one special kind of bulb for the over-the-stove vent,I wouldn't have gone to Home Depot this cold,rainy morning,but we needed that darn light bulb,so I figured I would be the one to give it up for the home team......Of course,I had to enter the store through the garden section.Hey!I have to plan ahead for warm weather,don't I?


"Be strong,"I told myself."There is absolutely no point in buying anything just yet." "OK,I'll just look....."

This is what I came out with(along with the light bulb):















A kalanchoe for the front entryway.After the poinsettia was done,it needed something new in that planter,anyways.







And a new geranium for the Cantina.
















This is going to be our next project.(whenever Hillsborough County gets off their collective duffs,and gets that drain project started and finished).This section of the yard will be cleaned out,by the county,and it will become a vegetable garden with raised planter beds.If only the County would get going ..........I have plans!











In the meantime,I'll just buy seeds,make plans,etc. and look forward to March when I can get the pruning shears out and go to work!

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Those flowers are beautiful. I sense sultry summer weather just looking at them.

Gayle said...

Too have some type of gardening year 'round must be so joyful. I can't wait to get going. I wish I had my moms green thumb, but I try. Soon I'll be planting seeds!

Tink *~*~* said...

Raised beds and containers are definitely the way to go. You can control better for pests and nutrients. And really, what is a raised bed, if not a big container? Remember, a tomato can have a tap root that goes down two-three feet, so plan the bed depth accordingly!

Tink *~*~*

Unknown said...

Now that looks like Florida ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails