"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Somebody’s Gotta Do It…….

Well…..after the freezes,the flu,Dad being in and out of the hospital(more of that in the days to come,too),get-a-ways to Sanibel Island,not to mention computer problems,I guess it’s time to get to work on the mess in the gardens…..

Just a taste of the destruction on TheGreatWall

palms by the pool…..IMG_4197the mandivillea vine…IMG_4199After a day and a half of pruning,pulling,digging,and raking,only 1/4 of the back yard…..

My butt hurts……my legs hurt…..not to mention my lower back….

However,let us plow on,shall we?…..

The sadness….

the Ground Orchids…

IMG_4208hopefully they will rebound.Do they?Anyone know?

The losses to date…

2 plumeria(great sadness on this).this has never happened before,but they were toast all the way to the ground.Not a good sign.

Too many to mention annuals.

One of my Dad’s orchids.It was brought up to the covered patio,and covered with Christmas lights.An orchid right next to it made it just fine.

What went wrong?

Yes,he knows.His response,”Give it time.See if it comes back.No great loss.”

I wish I could feel that way….

But there were also surprises…..IMG_4209 the ajuga was just fine……

 

a begonia is blooming!IMG_4206_2and one of Dad’s precious Cattleyas is blooming…..IMG_4205_2

The To-Do List:

the front yard(a start was made on that today---why the back hurts…)

the side gardens

replanting last year’s failures,with more of Florida natives.

raking

cleaning out the palms by the pool(this is the third year in a row they have been frozen.I think it’s time they were replaced with something more hardy.)

mowing……..

you get the drift?

and now,with a chicken(stuffed with fresh Ponderosa lemons and fresh Rosemary)in the oven,it’s time to soak the back,in a hot bath,have an adult beverage and enjoy the evening……

and maybe a beach day,this week!

Enjoy the gardening week,everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ground orchids will come back when the weather warms. Ideally it is best to wait on the pruning and cleaning until after the full moon of February. Sometimes plants trimmed back too soon will be fooled by current warm spell and generate new growth. Been there done that! Plants can then be surprised by another cold spell. In 1997 had a really bad freeze in February and lost many beloved plants. Although very unpleasant to look at, it is best to give plants an opportunity to rest before waking them. Often refer to this next couple of weeks as our "mush" season.

Tootie said...

Sorry about the frozen plants. :( But, I know you'll make your garden beautiful again. Just take your time, and spare your back.

Gayle said...

I go through watching everything I worked so hard on freeze and die every year. I know how you feel and it sucks.

Deborah said...

Oh SO sorry about your freeze. I do know how you feel though. I lost almost my entire pond garden in 2006. I think the first commenter has a point...I never trim this early in the season when we do get a freeze. Wishing you sunny days! **kisskiss** Deb

Susan said...

I spent the weekend cutting back dead plants, too. I know they say to wait, but I just can't stand looking at the brown. Hhmmm...that chicken stuffed with lemons and rosemary sounds good. Good luck with your garden.

Meems said...

This year was harder than last year with such a long spell of cold and then that last weekend hitting us so hard with super-low tips. We've all got SO much work to do. AGGGHHH!

The plumeria you gave me lost its leaves but the stalk is still green. I think it will be okay.
Meems

Shellbelle said...

I was afraid to stop in and see your damage, I knew what I would find. But I was happy to see that you already have some things popping back out.

I lost my 18-year-old plumeria, but I had cut off about 15 3-foot limbs before the freeze and brought them in, along with the little ones in pots. They are all doing well and the limbs are already sprout leaves. Thought you might like to know that in case you ever have a winter like this again. Me? I'm outta here, I'm moving to Georgia in April and my cousin is going to help me build a plumeria greenhouse before winter arrives there.

Good luck with The Wall, I know your green thumb will bring it back to it's former beauty!

Nishant said...

I know how you feel and it sucks.

Work From Home

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails