"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

In an effort to get away from the death and destruction on TheGreatWall,this past weekend a little get-away was taken to Sanibel Island.

Strolling the beach,picking up shells,visiting with good friends……..

While walking the light house beach,I looked down and found this beaten up Horse Conch.IMG_4180

Everyone had passed it by,but thinking I could use it as yard-art,I picked it up.

The more I looked at it,I started to see the beauty in it’s imperfection.

After a little soak in bleach,and a good rinsing……

IMG_4187

I added some oak bark and sheet moss to a Tillandsia,and voila ‘……….

What everyone had passed by because it wasn’t perfect,ended up making the perfect planter.

I look at it as God giving me a special gift.Not only did God give me a new planter,but I learned to look at nature in an all new way.

So,when I look at my garden and see this freeze damaged Hibiscus….

IMG_4190

I try to see the Rosemary behind it,untouched by the freezes.

And know that after the weather warms,the Hibiscus will grow again.

When I see a yard full of leaves

IMG_4196

that need to be raked,

I try to think what great mulch I will have for the garden.

And what a wonderful addition they will make to the compost pile.

(But I also,remember what a chore it is going to be!)

Which brings me back to re-reading a wonderful book……

IMG_4194

A great read,with great wisdom,

about appreciating what God gives us.

The garden doesn’t have to be picture perfect.

The perfection lies in the appreciation of the beauty of God’s gift.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it a beautiful shell, and after looking at all of the destruction in my yard because I was too ill to take notice and cover everything-I can only say that Mother Nature is a patient teacher, who follows her own path, with little worry about how we feel, or how much we have invested. It's a great lesson.

Gayle said...

You are quite creative (and quite philosophical as of later)...nicely done!! If I ever find earth under the snow I will do my damnest to notice the little stuff. :)

jabblog said...

There is always something of value to be seen or found if we can only look deep enough. Love the planter!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This was a lovely, thought provoking post. The shell is beautiful even with its imperfections, just as we are.

There is beauty to be seen each and every day.

FlowerLady

Ami said...

Love the Horse Conch planter and your thoughts! We all need to learn how to look at the bright side of the life.

I also built a "great wall" in my garden. Welcome to come to visit my garden at: http://sefloridagardenevolvement.blogspot.com/.

Susan said...

Well said! Even amidst destruction, beauty can be found. And, that lovely shell is truly a "gift of the sea," and you have brought out its beauty even more by providing it with an important purpose. Thanks for the uplifting post.

Rusty in Miami said...

I like your attitude, is the only way to be when you garden

Nishant said...

Love the planter!

Work From Home

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails