"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Little Bit of Garden Whimsy............

Gardens can be soooo
boring
They need a little touch of fun and whimsy.
So,I thought I'd share our version of whimsy.
Sometimes,also known as
YARD ART!!!!!
This first piece is a collaberative effort between myself,and Erich,the Younger.When he was a wee-one he made the blue bird at summer camp.I felt it needed someplace special so it could shine.So I bought some copper pipe,bent it,wired it together with copper wire.
Voila'
A trellis thingy!You
HAVE
to have animals in a garden..........
And every good Southern garden should have
a toilet planter!!!!!!!
This one sits in our shade garden.The top part of it is still waiting to be attached.Eventually,that part will have ivy trailing down.
And now for the piece de resistance........
Our pink flamingo collection!
Yep-----
We collect pink flamingos,which are incredibly hard to find,I might add.Good ones,at least,are hard to find.Even tho we have a toilet planter,we don't want to be too horribly tacky,after all.So,our pink flamingos must be stylish and tasteful.
Every Florida garden should a pink flamingo,or two.Or three......Or,maybe,even
six......
Gardens should be
fun
places,after all.
To see other gardener's gardens,check out Share Your Garden Sunday.Thanks to Artie for hosting.



And for more of Scenic Sunday,click here......................

20 comments:

Gayle said...

I love the bird trellis thingy. My garden/yard is flat. Over the next few years I'll work on adding dimension to it (I tried with apple trees, but the moose ate them all this winter). I have flamingos, but mine were cheap (ordered on the internet for $5 each). I do have one nice one. I noticed in the last two years they have faded quite a bit. I'll have to start investing in better quality metal ones. I think myself and one other lady in town must be wannabe Floridians with our flamingoes. You have just an amazing yard. Thanks for sharing it.

Petit Eyekiss said...

Thanks for ideas to my garden.

Guy D said...

These are fantastic!

Cheers
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Prospero said...

The more stuff in the garden - the better.

Baruch said...

Oh my! You have such a beautiful & fun garden. Thanks for sharing :)

Tink *~*~* said...

What did you use to make the collages of your photos?

Tink *~*~*

Unknown said...

Gayle-One of our flamingos came from the Internet,the others,we just found in 2 hand stores.The big metal one came from Beall's Home Outlet(love that place!)

Tink-Picassa 3 allows you to make the coolest collages.I was just playing around with it,and came up with these.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ooooh toilet gardens and flamingos...the stuff of every good florida garden!

Fun!

niartist said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this fun post! Thanks for playing along in Share a Garden Sunday! :) I did get into nice dry clothes - I tell you, it rained non-stop for the two hours I worked out there, and it was about 65 degrees. It was silly - I know, I hope that I don't get sick. LOL!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, I love yard art! Now I'm lamenting letting them throw out our toilets when they did our bathroom remodels last fall... Oh well, maybe an old bathtub will come my way. Love your whimsical yard!
Brenda

Stacie said...

Your garden looks so fun!

Deborah said...

I love whimsical garden art! Yours are all so adorable, I just can't pick a favorite. Lovely! **blows kisses** Deborah

Deborah said...

Thank you for coming to my cantina party! Actually, the new neighbors have dibbs on hubby first! Hubby is pondering a do-it-yourself update of the cool decking and patio surface next...I forgot to mention, I covet your flamingos. Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

If you live in Florida, you just have to make it fun, it's how we manage the heat. We scramble eggs on the sidewalk and the flamingos plant our toilets. Seems right to me.

Carrie said...

I enjoyed reading and viewing your photos of your whimsy in the garden. I've been gathering and adding things to give my deck and yard more visual delights.

imjacobsmom said...

You're a cutie! Your toilet planter is the most stylish one yet! ~ Robyn

Mary Bergfeld said...

This was so much fun. I never would have thought a toilet, that's for sure:-). I love your sense of whimsy.
Blessings...Mary

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

You have some very cool stuff in your garden. Lots of character there.

Shellbelle said...

Oh my, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes after laughing so hard, I love Pink Flamingos and spent the weekend driving all over town looking for a pair. I needed the retro ones with the wire legs for a line of greeting cards I'm working on. Now, it should be easy to find these in Florida, but noooooo…! Ace Hardware had the cheap looking ones from China @ $12.99 a pair. And then I found the real deal at Kmart, which is about two minutes from my house. Good ol' Made in the U.S.A. retro pink flamingos for only $7.49 for the set!

But, I digress. I was laughing so hard because after surfing around today, looking at everyone's Outdoor Wednesday posts, I stopped to take the pictures of my new flamingos needed for the aforementioned cards. While they were downloading to the computer I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder what those folks over in Lutz are up to." And lo, and behold, what do I find? Pink Flamingos! Gotta love us Floridians!

Great pictures, great garden, as always! BTW, we finally got a little rain last night, yeah!

Unknown said...

K-Mart ?! Who'd a thunk that? Gotta go.......

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails