"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A garden is a delight to the eye and a solace for the soul ~ Sadi

Last Thursday,at 2:40 PM,the greatest gardener I shall ever know,passed away.

He was frail,in pain,and almost blind.

He was ready.

He voiced it many times,to me,but I chose not to hear it.

He was ready to join my mother and brother.

And at 2:40 PM,Thursday,March 29th,he did.

Thankfully,in his sleep.

…During a nap,of all things..The man never took naps,fer crying out loud…He was always moving…

Peacefully.

And for that,I am grateful.

As if Mother Nature knew he was home,

the day after his passing,I noticed this…

IMG_3713

This plumeria –a yellow and cream-  is from a cutting from the original he brought back from Hawaii.It has never,ever bloomed this early.dad1The original plant is on the right…

The past few months,I had been letting things slide.

Seeing to Dad had taken a lot of my time,but this past Sunday,I felt the overwhelming urge to get back to the garden.

Weed.

Make things right.

Make TheGreatWall look good again.

Almost as if something,or someone,was pushing me on.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A garden is the best alternative therapy.

~ Germaine Greer

~~~~~~~~~~

“Your tomatoes really need to be staked,girl.”

“You might want to edge that garden…”

“I think those plants need a good soaking.Use the soaker hose.”

“Those lines need to be straighter.”

I have no idea how many times,I wanted to call him,and ask his advice,but something told me to keep moving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends

~ Kozuko Okakura

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The orchids seem to be giving him a final salute,also….

IMG_3719

 

IMG_3723

IMG_3720

Regrets?

I have  one.

That he never got to see his orchids in their new home.

And this one….

IMG_3726

I can hear him saying to me,”Leave it alone.It’s happy.That’s what I always did.”

…and so,I shall…

One of his greatest pleasures,in life,was Fort DeSoto.He and my mother would go early,every Wednesday morning.

…”before the tourists get there”…

She,to go shelling.He,to look at the wild orchids.One of their greatest joys was to take the grandchildren.She,to show them shells.He,to put them on his shoulders,and wade out to the sandbar,to go shelling for their Grammy.

But,after she died,he never returned.

So,this May 25th,on what would’ve been his 93rd birthday,we shall return.For the grandchildren to take the great grandchildren,on their shoulders,out to the sandbar and sprinkle his ashes.

And,maybe have some bar-b-qued ribs,potato salad,and Decadent Chocolate Cake….his favorite meal….

And maybe,spy a wild orchid,or two….

~~~~~~~

A garden is evidence of faith. It links us with all the misty figures of the past who also planted and were nourished by the fruits of their planting

~ Gladys Taber

2 comments:

Ami said...

Oh, Dear Chris: This post made me having tears in my eyes. Big hug from me... Losing a loved one is always hard, but knowing him leaving in peace is somehow comforting. I am sure your dad will continure spreading his spirit through your passion to the gardening, his orchids, and many more that you treasure about him.

Take care,

Ami

Deborah said...

Oh Chris,I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Father. I am so happy to hear that he was rewarded with a Good Death. I have no doubt that his plumeria blooming early was a sign to you to let you know that he had crossed over and is in eternity with your mother and brother, and though it may seem to you a lifetime before you see him again, in eternity, it will be the blink of an eye. Yes, yes, celebrate his life...a life well-lived. Sending you all of my love on the wings of a desert sparrow, Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails