After three years of freezes,the palms,by the front entry-way,looked like this……
They were rotted in the center and infested with ants.Time for them to go.
After a day and a half of me hacking away,using an a pick-axe,using the electric chain saw(I don’t do gas power-too scary),and even trying to pull them out with the Tacoma,YardBoy finally took pity on me,and hauled out the gas powered chain saw.Done!Outta here!(I guess I owe YardBoy a ‘favor’ or two…wink-wink)But the roots still remained….
The original plan was to replace those cold sensitive palms with something a more cold tolerant palm.But there was no way I could remove that root without a back-hoe.And that was not gonna happen.
So,it was back to the drawing board and come up with a new plan.
Since YardBoy had been considerate enough(wellll,there was some prodding from me involved) to remove the palms pretty much level,I figured I could use that as a base for a planter.
A new planter and plants were bought.
I used a Cordylline in the center,surrounded by ivy,sedum,and alyssum.Around the base are Liriope , which are just divisions off of ones we already had.They were due for some for some thinning out anyway.
Now,comes the hard part.Waiting for everything to grow in.
I’m just not good with the patience thing…………..