"I'm not really a career person.I'm a gardener,basically.".....George Harrison

Monday, January 2, 2012

Birdseed Cakes …

Preface-This was a spur of the moment thing and I realize,now,I should have taken more photos.I apologize,in advance,but,at the time,I was avoiding taking the outside Christmas décor down.And to quote my two sons,”It seemed like a good idea at the time”…..

 

With the return of the birds,and a cold front due,I thought I would try making my own birdseed cakes.

…For the feeders…

…For the birds…

…Make them like me…

…And make them want to return to my garden...

What the heck? What’s left of the garden will be toast,anyways…

What with the anticipated freeze and all..

 

…And,most of all,for no other reason,I wanted to try it…

oh yeah,those darnn outdoor Christmas decorations needed to come down and I really,really was feeling lazy…..

 

Remembering that Google was my friend,I Googled birdseed cake recipes and found one here.

 

What I used…

IMG_3410

I added hot sauce,extra peanuts,and raisins that were left over from Christmas baking.

The hot sauce was added just to keep the squirrels away.

They-the squirrels- get fed real peanuts.As long as I keep up with putting down real peanuts around the garden,it seems to work at keeping them out of the feeders.

I molded the cakes in disposable plastic-ware.

The kind you can buy anywhere.

Then I stuck the handle of a wooden spoon in the center.So the cakes would fit over the feeder.

IMG_3411

But you could also mold them into squares,and use them in a regular suet feeder.

I set them in the refrigerator for an hour or so,

and…

 

Voila’…IMG_3408

Do the birds like it?

They haven’t discovered it,yet,

but I do know this…

…the outdoor Christmas décor still needs to come down….

 

…and we’re due a freeze…

 

Chow down birdies!

 

…I’ll be working on that outside décor….

Maybe……

2 comments:

Gayle said...

The birds are going to love you!

Susan said...

Aren't you a clever bird-lover. Minus the hot sauce it sounded good enough for me to eat it. Guess you can tell I'm on a diet. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails